Re: Meeting frequeney (was: Re: [117attendees] Making meeting attendance more affordable)

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023, at 00:31, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 5:33 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/30/23 12:45, John C Klensin wrote:

> During the first part of the pandemic, the
> IESG took on a great deal of authority because it was necessary
> and I, for one, really appreciate them doing that.  But we
> (including the IESG and LLC) need to get back to remembering
> that IETF consensus arises out of community discussion and
> (rough) agreement, with the IESG evaluating and confirming that
> consensus.  Whatever a discussion or decision within the IESG,
> some WG or other meeting, or even by the LLC, may be, it is not,
> without a clear opportunity for informed whole-community
> discussion, IETF consensus.

+1.

+2

I was about to add my own +N, but then I thought about status-quo bias, and intertia, and figured this is how empires die - so much accreted barnacle load that they can't make changes any more.  I don't think you could get strong consensus in the IETF on anything of this scale.  You probably couldn't get strong consensus in favour of 3 meetings per year if you started from a null hypothesis.

Not saying I think we should change from 3 meetings per year, but also - it's going to already get favourable support due to being the current pattern, so I don't think we need a more strong consensus than our already considerable "rough" for considering other options.

Regards,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd