Re: [117attendees] Making meeting attendance more affordable

On 28 Jul 2023, at 12:21, Keith Moore wrote:

> On 7/28/23 10:17, Dean Bogdanovic wrote:
>
>> So, IETF is not considered a conference for academics, as you can’t get grants for it. And some academics are saying, we want to participate in IETF, but we need community to sponsor us?
>
> Maybe we need to have one or more peer-reviewed respectable journals associated with IETF (IRTF?), maybe with scope limited to internet research?

The ACM/IRTF Applied Networking Research Workshop has co-located with the July IETF meetings for the past eight years. It's a peer-reviewed academic workshop, organised by IRTF and ACM SIGCOMM, with proceedings published in the ACM Digital Library (https://irtf.org/anrw/). One of our key goals in creating this workshop was exactly to provide a venue that allows academics to attend IETF.

IRTF also sponsors the Applied Networking Research Prize and provides travel grants to support PhD students and early career faculty (https://irtf.org/travelgrants) to attend IRTF and IETF meetings.

Colin