From: 117attendees <117attendees-bounces@xxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Carsten Bormann
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2023 9:36 AM
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <marie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; 117attendees@xxxxxxxx; ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [117attendees] Perks for chairs (Re: Making meeting attendance more affordable)

WARNING: This email originated outside of Entrust.
DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

On 2023-07-27, at 19:15, Marie-Jose Montpetit <marie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think that chairs by default should be given free registration. We spend countless hours on IETF/IRTF issues.

At first blush, I'd think so, too (of course :-)

But seriously, I wouldn’t want the deliberation of “who would make the best chairs” to be overlaid by the thought “who needs that support most to be able to participate”.

Oh, and WG/RG document authors need free registration too (of course :-).
(“Whose document should we adopt so the authors can continue to participate.”) Maybe only the first author.
(“Do we need to split this WG/RG document so another one of the authors can be first on the other one and continue to participate.”)

You see where I think this leads...

Grüße, Carsten