Re: Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

The author works for a body which argues strongly in favour of
watering down encryption, mandating escrow and state actor insight
into encrypted data at rest, and in flight, and for obligated scans of
content for CSA material.

I suspect that this colours a lot of the engagement. It's very hard to
be dispassionate across the cultural divide over primacy of rights.
Fundamentally, Child Protection advocacy almost always winds up
seeking to water down the primacy of privacy preserving technology.

Putting that to one side, I think the author observes some cultural
truths about engagement in the IETF ab initio. There is a lot of
insider/outsider culture. And, assumptions that to be there, in
dialogue implies having done your homework which is unfortunately not
canonicalised, or always easy to recover.

I was very lucky to begin my engagement in SDO lists in a time where
it was normal for people to be in tertiary education, and mostly
beardless. The barriers to entry were lower, the tolerance for stupid
questions possibly higher both as a function of volume and context:
pretty much any wild idea was at least worth discussing. Even
Geographic address models!

Roll forward. We've rehashed the same arguments for 40+ years, we're
tired, and deaf. A lot of the behaviours are grumpy behaviours.

-G