Re: Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

I was OK with him until he got to the part where he said I wasn't
paying attention before so you have to start over.

I also noted that part as dissonant, in an otherwise pretty correct summary of how daunting it can be to join this organization. However, one thing is one new person joining and asking to start everything again, another is something that was discussed ten years ago by a narrower set of participants and that now has come to affect many other groups that didn't even know the IETF existed and hundreds of new people that have joined the IETF in the meantime. There should be a way for the organization to review its output after a while, especially if new viewpoints and needs have arisen, without people being aggressively told to just shut up.

I think that if you show you are familiar with the previous discussion and can make a plausible argument about what has changed, it is not all that hard to get going. That's how we revise our RFCs, after all.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY