Re: IETF facilitated SPAM was Re: [External] Re: How do we feel about conferences scraping addresses from the IETF?

On 6/8/23 05:45, tom petch wrote:

1) when my ESP classifies so much as junk, some clearly wrongly, why does it fail to classify this obvious junk (which comes from the same domain as my address)?
Because a lot of spam filters are written by incompetent people. Poorly designed spam filters are arguably the worst problem that email has and the biggest contributor to degraded reliability of email.  For whatever reason (and I've heard many explanations of varying validity), IETF has abandoned any effort to fix the problem.

(BTW, spam sent with a bogus return address, but using the domain name from the recipient's email address, is a pretty common ruse not only for advertising spam, but also for spearfishing and similar attacks.  It should probably be somewhat of a red flag to mail filters, but using this naively would be worse than ignoring it.)

2) do other domains than btconnect.com have the same issue with outlook?

Yes.  And many more issues than these.

Keith