Re: [Last-Call] [Manycouches] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-shmoo-remote-fee-05

(ART removed -- this has ceased to be about that review -- and
explicitly adding Lars for reasons that will be obvious)

Mirja,

I've deferred responding to this because I was not sure there
was anything useful to be added.  After reading the comments
over the last few days and responding to John Scudder, I think
maybe there is, so...

--On Thursday, January 26, 2023 13:31 +0100 Mirja Kuehlewind
<mirja.kuehlewind=40ericsson.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> For the fee waiver one can see all needed information here:
>
> https://www.ietf.org/forms/116-registration-fee-waiver/
>
> So I believe the requester can make an informed decision.

I believe that is correct although I can find no requirement or
principle, in this document or elsewhere, requiring that form,
or what it discloses, or how early it is expected to be
available, for future meetings.  IMO, it would be a terrible
idea for the IETF to get bogged down in the details, but a
statement of principle about that information being available
long in advance, even a meeting or more in advance, would be
reasonable.  So would a statement allowing exceptions if
exceptional circumstances arise if the LLC encounters such
circumstances and is willing to explain them to the community.

> However, if you want to change or discuss that, I still
> believe it's out of scope of this document and better
> connected with the broader question about identify and privacy
> of participants as you discuss below. I encourage to start a
> separate discussion and probably rather on the gendispatch
> list (or of course even better propose a draft if you have
> concrete proposals for policy).

Here is where I have a different concern, one I have alluded to
earlier and to which I hope the IESG will pay attention and
discuss ... ideally without holding up this document.  First of
all and right now, I believe there is momentum and context for
thinking about the broad set of issues associated with remote
attendance at meetings, including what people need to "pay" to
attend.  "Pay", and "costs" below, are in quotes because I'm not
just talking about fees, I'm including what it is reasonable to
expect people to give up in terms of disclosure of information,
making applications for fee waivers and other special treatment
if needed, and so on.   It also includes questions about

-- what alternatives exist if those "costs" are judged, by the
potential participant, to be too high and
-- ones about the risks to the IETF, and its effectiveness and
reputation, should there be a perception that we are moving more
toward "pay to play" even if there fee waivers or other
exceptions.

To say "not in scope for this document" is fine.  To say
something closer to "not in scope for SHMOO, take it to
GENDISPATCH" is not only a stretch from how I read the SHMOO
charter (YMMD, of course) but, assuming that it were not simply
a way to kill discussion (intentional or not), it pushes things
in the direction of Yet Another WG with responsibilities and
scope that overlaps an existing one.  IMO, such WGs are an
all-around problem: if the same people join both mailing lists
and participate in both, it is wasted administrative (and other)
overhead.  If they don't, we end up with fragmented discussions
and reduced perspectives and review prior to IETF LC.  And,
either way (and at least IMO), every additional WG is more work
for relevant ADs and the IESG in general, resulting in more
tendencies toward AD overload, pressures to make the IESG bigger
(and possibly more difficult for it to function as a coherent
body or be "managed"), and perhaps reduced willingness of people
to be candidates for those positions.   Those possible
side-effects are certainly not SHMOO's problem, but I don't
believe we should be reading SHMOO's scope narrowly enough to
push the community toward them.

Of course, the other problem with sending the questions off to
GENDISPATCH is that the issues are complex enough that I would
assume that things will drag out to at least IETF 116 and
possibly longer, losing whatever momentum and thoughts that
people have in their minds today.

Lars?  IESG?  Some guidance here would be helpful.  If you want
notes, or even a skeleton for a draft, sent off to GENDISPATCH
(but with the understanding that I will recommend that
GENDISPATCH assign the work to SHMOO), I'm willing to try to do
that but, because I think it is a bad idea, I won't do so
without some explicit guidance.

thanks,
   john