Re: [Last-Call] [Manycouches] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-shmoo-remote-fee-05

Hi,

let's up-level a bit. This document instructs the IETF LLC to try its hardest to make unlimited free remote participation available. It leaves the details of how this is done mostly to the operational side.

I think this is feature, not a bug. We have too many process RFCs that codify operational details, and those parts don't age well. I would strongly urge to think twice before adding operational aspects to this document, unless absolutely necessary.

Related to your second point, I don't quite understand how you interpret the establishment of (a guidance for) unlimited remote fee waivers as moving us closer to a "pay-to-play model". I think it's doing the exact opposite.

Running the IETF, its meetings, and it's associated functions such as the RFC Editor has a cost. A part of that cost has always been borne by the participants, and until our endowment is a few orders of magnitude larger than it is now, we have no other option. The IETF has always chosen to recover some of that cost from the people who actively participate in its meetings, but not - for example - from the people that only participate via email.

The community can certainly discuss whether this is still the correct approach to recover a part of our operational costs. But that certainly goes beyond this document and the current charter of SHMOO.

Thanks,
Lars