Re: [Congress] New Non-WG Mailing List: congress

On 22 Dec 2022, at 13:49, Martin Duke wrote:

Re: The working group description. Sorry, I screwed this up and totally
forgot that the message would go out to ietf-announce.

Thanks for saying so. We've all made these sorts of errors, but it's great when leadership owns them and works to fix them in the future.

Re: AD/Co-AD. I'm trying to charter a WG because I think we need one. My role is to write a charter and gather consensus on it. I will not chair the WG or write any documents for it. I guess I "didn't try hard enough" to find someone to fine-tune the charter (I suppose people were reluctant to
hold the pen for a document I had written), but I *did* try.

I think it's definitely part of our culture that ADs help champion new work in their area. However, ADs have a bunch of responsibilities, individually and collectively, including reviewing/approving BOFs, charters, and eventual WG documents, chair selection/replacement, hearing appeals, etc. (see RFC 3710). By being directly involved in charter writing (and a bunch of other duties), you are effectively conflicting yourself out of a bunch of duties you on which may need to later recuse yourself, which means that your colleagues have to do more work than they should. We talk an awful lot about how overworked ADs are; not delegating championing a WG and writing a charter doesn't seem like the best plan.

Also, if you are qualified to be writing a particular charter, it probably means that you are the one on the IESG with the most technical expertise on the topic and are more appropriate to be the one reviewing the charter and managing the WG rather than your co-AD. Again, it seems like if there is enough community support (and ability) to do this work, you should be able to delegate the charter writing to someone else (maybe an eventual chair or other senior member of the community). Starting off by putting yourself at the center of the work seems like a bad idea.

Does that mean that an AD should never be involved in writing a charter for a new WG? Of course not. (Even though he doesn't believe me, I learned much from Stephen Farrell during our time on the IESG together, including that absolute procedural rules are silly in the IETF; you need flexibility.) But it should definitely be the exception, because (a) it makes doing your actual AD duties much harder (see above) and (b) it doesn't do the kind of leadership development in the organization that we desperately need to do.

And to never let agreement with John pass by without some disagreement ;-)