Re: [Congress] New Non-WG Mailing List: congress

On 22/12/2022 22:26, Pete Resnick wrote:
(Even though he doesn't believe me, I learned much from Stephen Farrell during our time on the IESG together, including that absolute procedural rules are silly in the IETF; you need flexibility.)

Harumph! :-)

It's clearly untrue that I've ever been a source of learning
(an inability to teach all the kids being my $dayjob;-), but
I will agree with Pete, that there's a fairly well-worn path
of ADs pushing good ideas of the right thing to do having not
prospered as well as they might have. So I'd say that it's a
good bit better for ADs to stand back some, from especially
what they consider really good ideas and let other folks who
are exercised by the problem-at-hand take the lead.

OTOH, in those rare cases where everyone thinks 'X' needs to
be done, but hasn't been, an AD pushing things along with a
smattering of aggression can help people get to where they
wanted to go anyway, but hadn't yet.

Cheers,
S.

PS: I've no clue at all about congestion control so this is
purely a mention-prompted meta-comment sent on arrival home
from the usual Thursday pub outing:-)