Re: [Congress] New Non-WG Mailing List: congress

Martin,

I want to stress that I was not suggesting any malfeasance on
your part, just, at worst, a bit of carelessness (IMO,
completely understandable in the end of year rush).  My main
concern, one that supplements Donald's and Pete's, is about
external appearances and encouraging those who intentions toward
the IETF are either suspicious or hostile.  Even then,
principles like "once is a glitch, several times constitute a
pattern" probably apply.   While it don't see it as urgent, this
may also point to a tooling problem: if you or other ADs are
using some sort of template to announce a new list, fixing that
template so it cannot easily be completed without supplying a
short description of the list and its purpose and optionally
supplying links to additional information would probably help
prevent mistakes when people get busy and in a hurry.

And, while spelling out acronyms in a list description (perhaps
another field for a template) certainly helps those of us who
are used to working within the IETF, I think it is safe to say
that most of the people in the world, even most of those with an
Internet technical background, who see the term "CONGRESS" are
not going to think of congestion control first.  Something like
"ConCtrl" would be far more obvious and, while far less clever,
would avoid that element of my concerns.  Again, probably not
now that you have moved forward and the term is already known
within the Transport Area, but perhaps worth keeping in mind for
the future.

    john

--On Thursday, December 22, 2022 11:49 -0800 Martin Duke