Re: BCP 83 PR actions and new media

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 9:41 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/9/22 13:31, Samuel Weiler wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> Do PR actions also apply to other-than-email IETF communications such
> as Github, Slack, Zulip, and whatever new collaboration technologies
> we adopt in the future?
>
> I propose that they should and that we should not need to revise BCP
> 83 every time we add a new collaboration technology, and I'm hoping
> you agree with me.

I read now the BCP83, and yes I agree only IETF mailing lists. Now I feel the mailing lists are more better environment to communicate in than Github, zulip, other media.

Separately, I've been wondering whether PR actions should apply to
speech over private email, since I received numerous abusive private
messages related to the recent PR discussion.

If it was a private email from @ietf.org then it is within IETF, but I don't see the BCP83 including this issue.

I do think that, just as the bounds of propriety should be explicit and
clear (and they're definitely not either of those at present), the scope
of speech to be considered for PR actions should also be explicit and clear.

I agree, however, there may no need to be clear on common things about good/ugly communications, because it is depending on either common sense (human_group sense) or what is usually done in family/social organisations. Usually old_head_group of family may have agreed-rules of punishments to help family_progress.

AB