Re: BCP 83 PR actions and new media

On 11-Nov-22 13:55, Keith Moore wrote:
On 11/10/22 14:50, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

- I think that sticking our nose into *any* communication that does
not involve IETF services, resources or meetings is problematic. If a
person1@xxxxxxxxxxx sends objectionable mail to person2@xxxxxxxxxxx,
it seems very tricky for any IETF intervention to occur.

What if such communications are done by people with appointed IETF
positions?  I* members, WG chairs, list administrators, WG document
authors, etc?

Yes, that is a very thorny question. The ethics get complicated.
Suppose an IETF "official" sends an email to somebody (from a non-IETF
address to a non-IETF address) saying "Private email: do not forward.
No hats: Your opinion is worthless and you are a waste of space."
Can the recipient use this in a complaint to the IESG or the Ombudsteam?

It would be quite different if they wrote "As WG Chair, I find that
your opinion is worthless and you are a waste of space." But trying
to draw that line seems quite difficult.

    Brian