Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-pti-pen-registration-08.txt> (Registration Procedures for Private Enterprise Numbers (PENs)) to Informational RFC

Hi -

On 2022-11-06 5:41 AM, Russ Housley wrote:
I have no objection to this document being published, but I do request a small editorial change.

Section 2.3 says:

    Although such requests are rare, registrations can be deleted.  When
    a registration is deleted, all identifying information is removed
    from the registry, and the value is marked as "returned."  Returned
    values will not be made available for re-assignment until all other
    unassigned values have been exhausted.

It would be helpful to say that the upper bound is described in the next section.

By the way, many common tools deal with OID elements much larger than 2**32-1.

The dumpasn1 tool will properly display this OID:

014: OBJECT IDENTIFIER '1 3 6 1 4 1 4611686018427387903'

But, dumpasn1 has trouble with bigger element values.  The pyasn1 library does fine with much bigger values.

But FWIW it's a longstanding limitation of SNMP.
For example RFC 2578 says:

   An OBJECT IDENTIFIER value is an ordered list of non-negative
   numbers.  For the SMIv2, each number in the list is referred to as a
   sub-identifier, there are at most 128 sub-identifiers in a value, and
   each sub-identifier has a maximum value of 2^32-1 (4294967295
   decimal).

I know that's *not* what the ASN.1 specs said, but it's a general
limitation of SNMP implementations due to the constraints on the
ASN.1 BER laid down in the SMI.

Randy