Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-pti-pen-registration-08.txt> (Registration Procedures for Private Enterprise Numbers (PENs)) to Informational RFC

Randy:

> On 2022-11-06 5:41 AM, Russ Housley wrote:
>> I have no objection to this document being published, but I do request a small editorial change.
>> Section 2.3 says:
>>    Although such requests are rare, registrations can be deleted.  When
>>    a registration is deleted, all identifying information is removed
>>    from the registry, and the value is marked as "returned."  Returned
>>    values will not be made available for re-assignment until all other
>>    unassigned values have been exhausted.
>> It would be helpful to say that the upper bound is described in the next section.
>> By the way, many common tools deal with OID elements much larger than 2**32-1.
>> The dumpasn1 tool will properly display this OID:
>> 014: OBJECT IDENTIFIER '1 3 6 1 4 1 4611686018427387903'
>> But, dumpasn1 has trouble with bigger element values.  The pyasn1 library does fine with much bigger values.
>
> But FWIW it's a longstanding limitation of SNMP.
> For example RFC 2578 says:
>
>   An OBJECT IDENTIFIER value is an ordered list of non-negative
>   numbers.  For the SMIv2, each number in the list is referred to as a
>   sub-identifier, there are at most 128 sub-identifiers in a value, and
>   each sub-identifier has a maximum value of 2^32-1 (4294967295
>   decimal).
>
> I know that's *not* what the ASN.1 specs said, but it's a general
> limitation of SNMP implementations due to the constraints on the
> ASN.1 BER laid down in the SMI.

I am not an author of the draft.  However, it sounds like the justification for the limitation on the PEN registry assignments needs to be expanded.

Russ