Re: RFC 8958 needs to be removed

> On 10/27/2022 2:44 PM EDT Pete Resnick <resnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> On 27 Oct 2022, at 13:31, Timothy Mcsweeney wrote:
>
> > Rfc8958 does not include the required language to conform to the
> > copyright and receive permissions its claims have been granted.
>
> Incorrect.
>
> > Rfc3405 copyright says:
> > "...provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
> > included on all such copies and derivative works. ".
>
> That is selective editing. It says that you can copy, furnish to others,
> make derivative works, etc., *without restriction* provided that the
> copyright notice, etc. is included. However, the next sentence says that
> you can't remove the notice, etc., "except as needed for the purpose of
> developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
> copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be followed."
>
> RFC 8958 followed the correct process.

Pete, haha, Pete.  Good place for you to put the 'etc'.  But I'm afraid you are wrong on this one.  Here is a good test.  See if you can find that whole paragraph, or even the words 'This document and translations', anywhere in RFC8958.  If you can not, then its a no go.

Copyrights should be respected, even the ones that aren't convenient.