Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-davies-int-historic-04.txt> (Deprecating infrastructure "int" domains) to Informational RFC

On 20-Oct-22 14:05, Scott Bradner wrote:

On Oct 19, 2022, at 8:58 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In terms of authority, authority over TLDs has resided with ICANN since
1998, except for .arpa and this tiny corner of .int. The IETF is now
documenting what has been a fact for many years: this tiny corner of
.int is totally obsolete.

not sure I agree with this the way it is stated - ICANN does not generally have authority over TLD subdomains
which is what this discussion is about

What I mean is that ICANN has authority over who delegates
subdomains within a TLD. For almost all TLDs, ICANN has
delegated that authority, but as far as I know, ICANN has kept
it for itself in the case of .int.

Are you arguing that we should change the first sentence of
the Introduction in some way? That's the only sentence in
the document that doesn't directly concern the obsolete
technical sub-domains.

   Brian

Scott