Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

On 10/4/22 01:54, Adam Roach wrote:

I have sometimes been accused of endlessly repeating the same argument, when I was actually trying to refine and clarify the argument, attempting to improve it over time based on feedback.

That kind of refinement is entirely reasonable; and I agree that it's part of finding consensus. I've been looking pretty closely at your series of statements on this topic and trying to find the evolution in your position, but am having difficulty doing so (which might be on me or on you or some combination of the two). Perhaps it would be helpful for readers seeking to identify such refinement -- and significantly more efficient for you and other participants -- if future emails were to simply explain where your position has evolved, and we can assume that everything *else* you've previously said remains in effect. Basically, the semantic equivalent of sending patch files instead of an entire source code tree each time.
To clarify, I haven't been doing that kind of refinement (so far) in most of my messages posted to this thread.  So far.

What I've mostly been doing (in the background) is a detailed review of the messages cited in the Last Call, trying to figure out just what the supposed problems with those messages were.  Without IESG having explicitly said what those problems were, that was essentially an exercise in guesswork, though I did find a few things that were at least subject to varying interpretation.   I plan to send that detailed review to iesg@ after a bit more polishing, with a request to keep it in confidence.

Separately from that, I've been writing a public response to the Last Call.  I also plan to post that after another bit of polishing.

Although I really want to get back to paying work, I don't want to be in a hurry to send either message.  I think this is a serious enough subject that I should spend as much time as I can spare to make those messages as clear and well-supported as possible.

Keith