Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

On 8/25/22 03:38, Eliot Lear wrote:

I don't understand why it is so difficult for people to object to consequences for unprofessional behavior in a professional organization.  This is not Speaker's Corner.

I don't understand why it is so difficult for people to see that censorship, particularly arbitrary censorship, causes a tremendous chilling effect on discussion that impairs the very work we're trying to do.

(i.e. it's an implied threat that if someone in power doesn't like your work for arbitrary reasons, they'll not only render your recent work useless but likely ruin your professional status and career.   and you're supposed to accept that without question, or much effective recourse, even though it's pretty clear that the approach is an invitation to abuse.   why do people think that's even remotely acceptable?  it's not.)

Or that "professional" is just shorthand for arbitrary prejudice.  It's not a virtue at all.   There are things that people associate with professionalism that are virtuous, but not everything.

Keith