Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

On 8/24/22 19:00, Paul Wouters wrote:

On Aug 24, 2022, at 12:54, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But the reason that I think that IETF is not a good use of my time isn't that "unprofessional" or "rude" people have been getting in the way of progress.

I believe they have been and are. As part of the newcomers participation, we hear that the hostility displayed is definitely a concern and leads to people to at least be reluctant to come back.

I was talking about my own experience.   I'm not trying to contradict or discredit others' experiences.   When newcomers say they're seeing such hostility, I believe they're being sincere.

Of course, different people witnessing the same interaction can come to different conclusions about it without either person being wrong.

Speaking for myself, I am not subscribed to this list for the same reason, the insulting rude behaviour vs useful content is too much for me. (I am looking at this list now only because of being pointed to it as an IESG member)

These days I'm not seeing much content at all on the IETF list, rude or otherwise.   My impression is that there's been a concerted effort over the past several years to make the IETF list irrelevant, which I find very unfortunate because that effort has robbed IETF of a kind of center.

   It's that too many people seem to feel entitled to suppress the inputs of those with whom they disagree, using any excuse whatsoever other than a technical argument, or maybe no excuse at all, or any means at their disposal.

I have not seen this happen. I are you saying these valuable contributors have been silenced because they couldn’t rephrase their technical content in emails without the word  “stupid” in it?

Not at all (where did I say that?)     Of course, that would be unfortunate even if that were the case.

I'm not able to read the minds of the people whose work is being shut down, and the people doing the shutting down usually don't state their reasons.   That's part of the problem, after all.

Part of working with a diverse group on protocols is being good at communicating, in writing drafts but also in interacting with others in a positive and constructive way.

People have a wide variety of skills and communications styles, and people can make valuable contributions to protocols even if others don't judge them "good" at communicating.

   If they can discredit someone as being "rude" or "unprofessional", or "naive", or belittle or discredit them in any way, they'll do that.

This is quite the accusation to “they”.

  They'll do anything except argue the issues on technical merits.

Again, quite the accusation to “they”.

Yes, these are serious accusations, and to be clear, not against only a single person. (despite the common modern usage of "they" as a singular pronoun)

And that's the reason I started calling out people's demands for "professional" behavior, because I'd seen too many occasions when that demand was used as an excuse to distract from technical discussion rather than contribute to it.

So far, I have seen none.

I wasn't claiming to speak for  you, nor was I claiming that this is happening in every working group.   I'm speaking of several years' worth of history.

Again, personally until I joined the IESG, I had some of these “rude” people in my /dev/null redirection, so your assumption that rude people should be allowed to be rude for technical merit still seems to fall short - there is a higher chance of their merit being heard if they are in fact, not insulting individuals or groups.

Please don't try to put words in my mouth.  (That's both rude and insulting.)    There's a huge difference between arguing that "rude people should be allowed" and arguing that tolerance is overall a virtue, and that vague rules for behavior and arbitrary enforcement of such rules are harmful to consensus building.   The very idea (implied) that "rude" people should (not) be allowed is within epsilon of pure prejudice, and is IMO indefensible.

And the organization treats those people as if they're entirely legitimate, even promoting some of them to positions of leadership.

Could it be that you are in fact in the rough of rough consensus, and that people who promote inclusiveness and professional behaviour are in fact the kind of people that our organization wants to see in leadership roles?

No.   People shutting down technical discussions without giving reasons are not behaving inclusively or "professionally" (which is after all another form of arbitrary prejudice), but quite the opposite.

There's nothing "civil" about their behavior at all.

Again, quite the unsubstantiated accusation in response to an issue where all the contributor had to do was restate their technical point without insulting or accusing individuals or certain groups ?

No, you're creating a hypothetical situation and using that to try to discredit my experience.   It's disingenuous and disrespectful.

Keith