Re: dispatch for areas

On 24-Aug-22 20:46, tom petch wrote:

On 22/08/2022 18:03, Donald Eastlake wrote:
Area  Dispatch WG
------------------
ART   DISPATCH
GEN   GENDISPATCH
INT   INTAREA
OPS   OPSAWG
RTG   RTGWG
SEC   SECDISPATCH
TSV   TSVWG

In some cases it is a "pure" dispatch WG that never processes documents
itself. In other cases, it handles documents in the area that it does not
dispatch in some other way.

Donald

Thank you for the prompt and comprehensive response.  Clearly it is
easier to know than I imagined but how could I have found that out?  As
you may infer, I did search the datatracker, IESG wiki and such like to
no avail.  I see that the charters for e.g. intarea and rtgwg do include
mention of this function albeit not using the word 'dispatch'.

The very notion of a separate forum for 'dispatch' discussions is quite new,
whereas 'area' WGs have existed for many years and are (IMHO) the natural
forum for such discussions. I don't know why ART and SEC areas decided to set
up separate groups (that doesn't imply that I have any objection, those
are simply areas that I don't track). I do know why the GEN area did so -
there was no GENAREA WG at all, so there was a real gap.

(When I was GEN Area Director, I assumed that ietf@xxxxxxxx was the forum
for general IETF discussions.)

   Brian