Re: [EXTERNAL] Continuing geolocation issues with the "ietf" network

On 30 Jul 2022, at 9:46, Warren Kumari wrote:

> The IETF address space is officially registered to the Internet Society, in
> Geneva, CH.

I tried to use a service that required me to be in the US and rejected me because it thought that I was in (IIRC) the UK.

I think the fundamental problem is that there are multiple ways that they can get what they think is the location, and one of those ways is to do a WHOIS and look at the country. For the IETF meeting network, that’s almost guaranteed to be the wrong answer (but apparently not what the above service was using).

This is a bigger problem than it used to be. Some websites (such as my small city’s weekly newspaper) are disallowing access from Europe so that they don’t need to deal with GDPR. I just stay prepared to jump on my home VPN, but that’s not a very elegant solution.

-Jim