Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Continuing geolocation issues with the "ietf" network

I think that’s part of it, but it’s also getting the various sites that consume the data to update the data they are looking at.

-glenn

On 7/29/22, 12:32 PM, "ietf" <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 12:28:36PM -0400, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> It’s too late to fix this for IETF114 (as it has just ended), but it seems that almost every time there’s an IETF meeting, one or more geolocation services gets confused about our location.  This time, it seemed to think that we were in Switzerland.
>
> For me, this is not much more than an annoyance (an online bank sent me an urgent email, asking if it was really me who was logged in from Switzerland, and I got several targeted advertisements written in the German language).  But it would be nice if this could be fixed in the future.
>
> (Perhaps there’s a more general engineering problem here that the IETF could help solve??)

I think the problem is more getting the geolocation services to consume
(e.g., RFC 8805) the data that is available, rather than having a format in
which to provide such updates.

-Ben