Re: [EXTERNAL] Continuing geolocation issues with the "ietf" network

One possible long term solution to this is something we’re proposing to add hints to the correct geo IP mapping and feed to use, in HTTP:

This would require that clients could learn which feed their IP comes from, but it would allow them to hint to servers that the server’s version of the feed may be out of date.

Thanks,
Tommy

On Jul 29, 2022, at 1:43 PM, Erik Kline <ek.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 12:48 PM Ross Finlayson <finlayson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2022, at 12:37 PM, Deen, Glenn (NBCUniversal) <Glenn.Deen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I think that’s part of it, but it’s also getting the various sites that consume the data to update the data they are looking at.

Maybe - but why Switzerland?  I don’t think we’ve ever met there?

113 was in Vienna, so that is odd.

One problem, as I understand it, is that consumers of https://noc.ietf.org/geo/google.csv might also be validating the prefix to see if it's announced anywhere.  If the prefix isn't announced early enough (whenever a geo processing cycle is underway) then consumers might discard the geo updates.  I wonder if the IETF prefixes are advertised from anywhere in between meetings, or only just before/as the conference network is coming up.

I'm not sure what standard processing cycles are, but I'm sure it is on the order of several weeks (perhaps only monthly).