Re: Bad/Good ideas and damage control by experienced participants

Barry Leiba wrote:
Two things here:

For what it's worth, we have collectively used "greybeard" to refer to
long-time IETF participants, for various reasons and don't further
this particular conversation, and it's not fair to say that we can use
it to refer to ourselves but others can't use it to refer to us.  We
can have a separate discussion about whether it's a non-inclusive term
that's an artifact of the past and better let go, but at this point
it's neither ageist nor misandrist to use it.
Well... I've always considered it a badge of honor.

It *is* "greybeardist", if I may coin the term for the moment, to say,
"All those greybeards are jerks."  But if your experience is that
every time you've been treated badly it's been by a long-term IETF
participant, it's NOT ageist to tell people that that's the case.
On the other hand, is it really a negative when someone is snarky with a snot-nosed kid who doesn't appreciate being told that their "great new idea" is a retread of something folks learned not to do decades ago?

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown