Re: Gun control at IETF 114

Il 07/06/2022 18:00 Mary B <mary.h.barnes@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

[MB] Some people are totally comfortable around people with guns and others would freak out if guns were allowed
Please understand that this, within the "most developed" world, is a U.S.-only perspective. It also holds for countries in Latin America or Africa where armed violence is similar or higher than in the U.S., but in Europe and East Asia it is not normal for anyone you know or meet to even have a gun, let alone carry it, unless they are police (and even police often goes around unarmed). There is a limited exception for grumpy old people who like to hunt, though there is increasing pressure to ban pleasure hunting altogether.

Personally, I know hundreds of people in my city and I only know one who has guns. His guns only move from a safe in his home to the shooting range where he works and back. If he ever brought his guns elsewhere, even unloaded guns, people would think he is dangerously insane and stop talking to him. This is the level of "comfort around people with guns" that I am used to.
and we can debate ad nauseum whether one is safer with licensed, trained armed people around than not.
Sure, but if you want some objective data, here they are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

The U.S. is listed at 6.3 homicides per 100'000 inhabitants. France is at 1.2, Australia 0.9, Germany 0.8, Spain 0.6, Italy 0.5 (and we have mafia and organized crime...), Japan 0.3, Singapore 0.2.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx