Re: Gun control at IETF 114

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 10:45 AM Jay Daley <exec-director@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7 Jun 2022, at 13:53, Mary B <mary.h.barnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Pennsylvania also has reciprocal concealed carry with other states:  https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/pa-gun-laws/.  So, someone with a CCL in Texas can legally carry a concealed weapon in Pennsylvania (you can pack an unloaded gun in your checked luggage - it happens way more than you might think).  Texas also has open carry laws and having lived here over 30 years, I don't recall ever seeing a civilian open carry just walking around.   Of course, as Dan notes, you get away from the city and you're far more likely to (although, I've never seen that in podunk Texas cities either).

If IETF wants to reduce the probability of having meetings in places that allow open and concealed carry they should stick with states that have stricter laws.  Of course, that does little to reduce the possibility.   Reality is there are a whole lot more gun owners here than in other countries and they're a whole lot easier to get access to here.

I don't think IETF should be making meeting decisions based on risks of death from various causes in various countries, although I guess they've started doing that with COVID.  And, maybe they can also start avoiding moldy meeting venues.

RFC 8718 Section 3.2.1. already requires this "Economic, safety, and health risks associated with this Venue are acceptable."

[MB] And, it's entirely subjective and personally doesn't address my concerns about health risks and meeting venue.  For example, I'd rather get COVID again ) than be exposed to the level of mold that was in the Singapore venue meeting rooms.  Some people are totally comfortable around people with guns and others would freak out if guns were allowed and we can debate ad nauseum whether one is safer with licensed, trained armed people around than not.   [/MB]

Jay

Mary.