Re: Gun control at IETF 114

On 07/06/2022 00:06, touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
FWIW - the venue itself may have additional restrictions.

Note that “mass shooting” has no single definition, but it typically hinges only on the number of victims and extent of injury. It does not distinguish whether the victims were unintentional or intentional (including the perpetrators themselves), or whether the event was related to other crimes.

Joe

Whenever such an event makes the newspaper headlines, then I always see the explanation that it is defined as four or more people killed and then goes on to mention how many such events have occurred so far this year, in the USA, a figure which is always rather large.

While four deaths is a tragedy, I would have expected a larger figure behind the use of the word 'mass' but that is what it is.

Tom Petch

This event appears to have been an altercation that occurred late (11:30p) on a busy weekend evening near a busy nightlife area.

I grew up in the area and lived on South Street. The area is one I might have been in/around that time of night, but I don’t think that would (or will, when in the area) stop me from going there.

Joe

—
Dr. Joe Touch, temporal epistemologist
www.strayalpha.com