Re: Backdoor standards?

> Il 13/01/2022 20:54 Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> Well yes. And every I-D for an effectively infinite length of time has said exactly that in its boilerplate [1]. It's beside the point that many people don't read the boilerplate. The fact that it's there is necessary and sufficient.

However, if we really felt the need to emphasize the point and the different status of the various documents (and I personally think we do, given how often this issue pops up), we could consider emphasizing that specific paragraph in all non-TXT renderings of the documents. It could appear in bold, with a thick border, etc, and possibly have a link to a specific FAQ page written for non-engineers.

HTML renderings, including the datatracker, could even make use of new and experimental technologies like frames or CSS to keep a shortened version of the message (and other metadata) always visible no matter where you are in the document, and it could go into headers/footers in PDFs, if we had PDFs which were not meant to appear just like a screenshot of the TXT version.

That shortened version could be even more understandable than the boilerplate - things like "OFFICIAL IETF STANDARD", "CURRENT IETF WORKING DRAFT", "EXPIRED IETF WORKING DRAFT", "UNOFFICIAL PERSONAL DOCUMENT" would convey the message more effectively. You could even say "DO NOT USE" if you wanted.

This would not remove the problem completely, but IMHO it could reduce it substantially, as in most cases it is due to people a) reading the boilerplate but not understanding it, b) not reading the boilerplate because they scroll down and think "this is clearly some boring legal boilerplate so I'll skip it entirely", or c) starting directly at page X of the document, where lies the juicy technical part that they need.

--
Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx