RE: Backdoor standards?

Also FWIW.  Early adopters and independent adopters occasionally implement what is described in I-Ds and it can be helpful to have the I-Ds persist as a usable public reference (IMHO).

Pierce

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of John C Klensin
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2022 11:21 AM
To: Scott Bradner <sob@xxxxxxxxx>; IETF <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Backdoor standards?

[External]

FWIW, Scott's summary is consistent with what I remember, even though I had forgotten the mirrored, no deletion, collections.
I was somewhat in the loop when Jon Postel initially resisted the idea of I-Ds, especially ones that might become an archival alternative to RFCs.  Scott's account is essentially correct and, FWIW, some of the discussion in this thread revisits that one.  I do consider that 2012 IESG Statement [1] to be strong evidence of a formal IESG decision on the matter although, if Scott's recollection is that the actual decisions and actions were made long before that statement was issued, I would trust those recollections.

It may also be worth noting that the Statement is one of many reaffirmations about groups other than the IETF posting I-Ds containing their working documents.  That policy definitely began many years earlier.

We would probably benefit from someone putting together and publishing a history of Internet-Drafts, paralleling RFC 8700, before more of our memories deteriorate or otherwise become inaccessible.

best,
   john

[1]
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Fabout%2Fgroups%2Fiesg%2Fstatements%2Finternet-draft-removal%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cpierce.gorman%40t-mobile.com%7C7db703f6fe4b43fc50a608d9d6b92801%7Cbe0f980bdd994b19bd7bbc71a09b026c%7C0%7C0%7C637776913909215857%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&amp;sdata=CVKdw3FKNX%2FqzlfhNd9XV4KboxchQi1yvEM26xTvYo0%3D&amp;reserved=0