Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dots-telemetry-19.txt> (Distributed Denial-of-Service Open Threat Signaling (DOTS) Telemetry) to Proposed Standard

Some stray thoughts

I wonder if there is a recognised terminology for attacks, threats and such-like. I have been looking at I2NSF I-D recently and they are, well, different. I note too that secdir reviews thereof queried some of the I2NSF terminology but what is right and what is wrong?. I am reminded of the efforts to produce a second version of the Security Glossary some time ago.

I find the use of -g and -ps alien. I worked out what they mean but cannot help feeling that there is a clearer way to express this, such as pps, bps, Bps (YANG does not like capitalisation but does allow it where it is widely recognised, which, for me, Bps is).

URI for IANA are inconsistent, http: and https: - since IANA allows http: (hurrah) I am easy with either but do like consistency

"The DOTS telemetry module (Section 10.1) uses "enumerations" rather
   than "identities" to define units, samples, and intervals because
   otherwise the namespace identifier "ietf-dots-telemetry" must be
   included when a telemetry attribute is included "
Well yes but that is saying the ietf-dots-telemetry is a bad choice of prefix - the 'ietf' is redundant and the 'telemetry' is prolix

      TBA: Overlapping pipe scope (see Section 12).
could do with an explanatory note, perhaps one for the RFC Editor

   vendor-id:  Vendor ID is a security vendor's Enterprise Number as
      registered with IANA [Enterprise-Numbers].  It is a four-byte
      integer value.
No, it is an integer which in this model is uint32 which can be represented in a number of ways

The user has to understand that [Enterprise-Numbers] is the same as Private Enterprise Numbers", which may not be apparent; consistent terminology is good.

YANG TLD is out of date and URI lacks https:

Authors vary between the frontispiece, the YANG modules and Authors' Addresses

Two references in the YANG modules I do not see in the I-D References
      <https://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers/>.
      "Section 4.4.2 of RFC UUUU.";
The latter is not an RFC I am familiar with (but then that is true of most RFC:-(

    reference
      "IANA: Private Enterprise Numbers";
would be clearer with a URI, whereever it occurs which is in more than one place

Security COnsiderations uses part of the YANG Guidelines template but not all; TLS is notable for its absence.

Tom Petch