Re: New IP (was: Re: Contractual Networking at IETF 112)

For those interested, here are some papers describing some aspects of the project:

Rather than telling people that the 1980s model is perfect and immutable, I encourage people to look at how very minor tweaks to the existing IP infrastructure could achieve very similar results.

Looking at some of the use cases described, they appear to me to be a combination of fluff (hologram! distributed ledgers!) and rather myopic vision.

I already have rather more than 256 networked devices in my house. So the notion that going to an 8 bit address space is a useful optimization seems like someone has utterly lost the plot. Like the dimwits who are unable to imagine that four people living in a 3 bedroom house with a kitchen, living room have already used up the six slots allowed by DECT6.0 handset vendors when they put a handset each side of the master bed.

Given that IP headers are already rather large for the 1500 byte packets the ethernet folk have hobbled us with, I can't see the utility in gobbling up even more. At the rate this proposal is going, it is going to be necessary to split each packet header over multiple packets.