Re: The leadership pipeline and WG chairs

Roman Danyliw <rdd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > [Roman] I’m deeply appreciative for the leadership and time that Alissa
    > and Adam volunteered to prepare and manage a successful BoF for us.  In
    > addition to the preparation of the proponents, their facilitation
    > (before and during the meeting) is why we had a productive discussion.

I agree that we need to have experienced people lead BOFs.
A third less experienced (not new, middle experience) person could have been
included.

    > [Roman] I strongly concur with Brian and Éric [1] [2] on their
    > observations that leading BoF is not straightforward matter, especially
    > when the possibility of controversial topics might arise (e.g.,
    > supporting advertising use cases in new work)

Some math departments have a refreshing attitude towards first year courses.
Rather than make teaching the unwashed first years a punishment for the
low-person on the ladder, they regard it as being a place to show off their
top-talent. (First year math classes in University are like 99% non-math students..)

The departments consider that the ability to reach out to new minds is a
complex and sophisticated act, and that only the best and most experienced in
the department should do that.
Newer, younger, less experienced professors should have their skills honed
teaching higher classes where the students are more interested, focused, and
more helpful.

I think that the IETF is doing something similar here when it comes to BOF staffing.
I trust that Roman will find some green charing talent to train when PRIV
reaches WG stage (under whatever name...)

I think that perhaps the converse is not occuring: we should be dropping new
talent into existing calm WGs in order for them to experience things.

In this I agree with Rich: some rotation of personnel is useful and wanted.
Maybe we should have a "guest chair" process...

  . o O ( "This WG chair brought to you by the letter X, and the number 3.14" )

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )