Re: The leadership pipeline and WG chairs

Hi Rich,
At 06:03 AM 13-11-2021, Salz, Rich wrote:
I also want the Area Directors to look through their working groups and consider asking some experienced people to step down so that their position can be filled by someone new to the role. I am sure that in some cases it will be a difficult, perhaps even unpleasant, conversation to have. I know that sometimes we used a WG chair position to help a long-time contributor justify their involvement to their employer. For the long-term health of the organization, we must stop doing that, if only because it goes against our declaration that people participate as individuals.

Two individuals with AD experience were appointed in the example which you provided. It is implausible that two experienced persons are needed for a BOF.

Favoring long-term attendees causes an "experience" problem. Removing long-term attendees causes an "experience" problem [1].

It is positive to see three Area Directors commenting on the thread. That is a departure from recent practice.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. It is impossible for a person to gain experience if he/she is not given the opportunity to do some work. If everyone with experience is put on retirement, you end up with a group with very little experience.