Re: I-D Action: draft-rsalz-termlimits-00.txt

On 10/21/21 1:43 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:

If we think we need more churn in ADs, the solution is some combination
of finding/grooming more good candidates and making it easier for people
to serve, so that the nomcom has better candidates to choose from.
I think this is a really key point: I would rather see us put the
effort into figuring out how to scale the AD job so that more good
people are willing and able to do it.  I think that's critical to the
IETF's long-term viability.

We have this problem in the IETF that we're really not very good at saying "no" to taking on new work of dubious value, and we're even worse at saying "no" to a working group that wants to extend its charter past its original work items and/or timeframe.

There's a related problem in that the entire IESG is essentially the review panel for every IETF Consensus action and for many more decisions also.   Even though IESG has streamlined these discussions considerably over the years, in some sense, every new AD increases the complexity of making decisions.

But from where I sit, the biggest problem is that we have too many WGs, and too many that exist for too long.   We need to focus on what's of core importance for the Internet, and also try to actually do more relevant work than we have been doing.

Keith