Re: BCP97bis

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 7:51 AM Salz, Rich <rsalz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are normative references to X509 now not proper? Similarly, the next version of FIPS is a “diff” document around a couple of ISO documents; the cheapest price I found for them is USD $180.  Are normative references to FIPS 140-3 now not proper?

"Not proper" is a little hyperbolic, I think.  It creates a review barrier, and that's the problem I'm trying to address.  A resolution to that barrier doesn't have to involve declaring such a reference to be improper, and I don't think that's what this is saying.

 We have a working group that supports IEEE point-to-point time protocol.  That standard costs USD $280.  What should the NTP (and predecessor TICTOC) working group do?

Ask the IEEE for a freely available copy we can use, with restricted distribution, to confirm compatibility between their standard and ours.  That's worked before (at least, I think it was the IEEE; might've been the ITU).

-MSK