Re: Want to be on the IESG?

On Sat, Oct 09, 2021 at 01:39:45PM +1100, Lloyd W wrote:
> > On 8 Oct 2021, at 07:42, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > (*) I am mentioning HRPC not to criticise it, i think its great we have it.
>
> As it happens, I hear that the Human Resources Political Correctness research group is looking for volunteers to be its (their?) new co-chair.

Just because i am happy for us to have it doesn't mean that
i agree with everything they do or that i could justify spending
more cycles on it. I was primarily trying to make the point that
if we are expanding beyond our core technical expertise to also
touch on broader societal issues resulting from out technology,
then i think we should equally have a group about Internet Policy.
At least i find i quite depressing how the only words about
Internet Policy from the IETF do not come from an open working
group but solely from statements by leadership. At least that
is my perception from the past few years.

> You could volunteer to man up and step up to run the group most likely to tell you that you're being sexist and ableist for volunteering to man up and step up and run.

We have IMHO most WGs working in a small technical echo chambers
of experts, and IETF/IESG review afterwards only polishing the
result. What we call consensus is really conditional:
"Assuming this WG document is to be deployed, then we roughly agree on the
technical details after having beaten them up".

That small echo chamber consensus model is IMHO insufficient for the type
of GEN work that really needs the larger community, non-expert consensus.
Maybe one can compare this with how well (or rather badly) democracy
would work on the big questions if only 5% where voting.

I observe that LLC is pretty good to use questionaires to vet the
larger community. Maybe WG working on problems requiring this
stronger community consensus model should also use such tools.

[ Of course, we also have similar stronger polling for full standards
  (implementation/deployment questionaires). ]

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---