Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, at 09:17, Jay Daley wrote:
> No matter what we do, we cannot change the inherent level of interest
> that people have in particular categories of messages.

What Jay said.

I subscribe to these lists, but deliberately ignore all traffic from them unless some other event causes me to search for a message.  I might not immediately mark announcements as read and file them away to be ignored if a more targeted list existed.  (https://xkcd.com/1205/ says that if I can spend a few minutes setting up an ignore rule and save 30s per day deleting/ignoring emails, it's a BIG win.)

Indeed, I would almost look for a separate list for each of the 10 categories Lars identified on that basis.  Of course, subscribing to multiple lists in mailman is a huge pain, but we shouldn't let something that might easily be fixed decide what is right.