Re: [arch-d] [Aid-workshop-pc] Why closed IAB workshops ? Re: Call for Papers: Workshop on Analyzing IETF Data (AID), 2021

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 5:08 PM Brad Biddle <brad@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 11:13 AM Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am still be interested to learn if/how IAB did vet its invitation only workshop
rules with the IEF lawyer re. compliance with USA EAR rules.

Toerless and all -- one of the IETF's lawyers here. Without inviting lots of nuanced discussion of a complex legal topic on large public mailing lists, let me note that materials presented at "open conferences" are broadly exempted from the EARs, and the definition of open conference is reasonably broad -- e.g., it can include "a limitation on actual attendance, as long as attendees either are the first who have applied or are selected on the basis of relevant scientific or technical competence, experience, or responsibility," among other things.

The regulatory language is frustratingly opaque, but please see 15 CFR 734.2 [1]

Typo in my text: 15 CFR 734.7 is the relevant regulation. The footnoted link is correct.

and a relevant BIS FAQ [2]. Also let me assure you that export control compliance is a key focus area for the legal team and we would definitely flag any concerns for the IAB leadership and other stakeholders.

--Brad
--
Brad Biddle | brad@xxxxxxxxxx | +1.503.502.1259 (mobile) | http://biddle.law

[1] https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/15/734.7