Re: IPv6 Anycast has been killed by LINUX patch in 2016 - who cares?

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 6:06 PM Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Peace,
>
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 3:50 AM Tom Herbert <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think
> > that the same rationale could be applied that anycast should be
> > unnecessary in IPv6 because there is a lot of address space to work
> > with.
>
> No, that doesn't work
>
> > For instance, instead of defining anycast endpoints behind one
> > address and hoping that the network can consistently route packets
> > based on per-connection layer transport information, why not just
> > embed the transport layer information in the IP address?
>
> Because DDoS, as has been pointed out in this thread a dozen times

Toma,

I don't see DDOS mentioned in this thread. If the concern is that an
attacker could DDOS an individual address then I'd point out that all
unicast addresses are susceptible to that anyway. Using anycast as a
mitigation to DDoS doesn't seem like a great idea considering the
problems being discussed here.

Tom