Re: IPv6 Anycast has been killed by LINUX patch in 2016 - who cares?

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 2:54 PM Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Peace,
>
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 12:24 AM Tom Herbert <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There's also QUIC where a NAT may evict a UDP 4-tuple state and later
> > instantiate a new tuple for the QUIC connection with different port
> > numbers.
>
> Just so that we're all on the same page, we're talking of IPv6 where
> NAT is considered an enormously unprofessional practice.  This is what
> the entire protocol was designed for: to eliminate the necessity of
> NAT where it's not really supposed to happen.

Toma,

Yes, a major selling point of IPv6 was that it would eliminate the
need for NAT because of the enormity of the address space. I think
that the same rationale could be applied that anycast should be
unnecessary in IPv6 because there is a lot of address space to work
with. For instance, instead of defining anycast endpoints behind one
address and hoping that the network can consistently route packets
based on per-connection layer transport information, why not just
embed the transport layer information in the IP address? e.g. maybe
the ephemeral port number, so that the packet is always routed
properly to the server instance regardless of how it's routed to the
destination. To make this work, DNS could return an address range
record instead of a single address and then a client to randomly
select an address to connect to from the range to achieve desired load
balancing.

> > In reality, it's not that flow label modulation or NAT break anycast,
> > it's that anycast is inherently broken since it makes assumptions that
> > are true only most of the time.
>
> The anycast isn't broken, it's fundamental to the Internet due to the
> architecture of the latter.
>
> Broken are the protocol and the application designs which rely on a
> transport flow being stable and uninterrupted over the course of time.
> This is just not how the Internet works, and it never did work this
> way, and it never would.

But consistent routing per flow is a requirement of anycast, hence why
I think anycast is broken...

Tom