Re: Status of this memo

Hi Martin,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 12:07 PM Martin Vigoureux
<martin.vigoureux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> quick question, if I may:
>
> Le 2021-04-27 à 17:06, Andrew G. Malis a écrit :
> > Keith,
> >
> > I disagree. WGs have charters, which result in RFCs. During that
> > process, they have consensus-based working drafts that are refined to
> > meet their charter goals. That's an "adopted" draft. But it doesn't have
> > to be based on a single individual draft, a working draft can be the
> > result of merging earlier individual drafts, or can even originate as a
> > WG draft without a preceding individual draft or drafts. But yes,
> > working drafts do reflect WG consensus, and they have formal standing as
> > such.
>
> At which point in time to do they reflect WG consensus, according to you?
> As examples to illustrate my ask: From day 1 or only at "Publication
> Requested" time, or some other time, if any specific one?

I can give you my opinion, which may be different from Andy's:

When a draft is adopted, it means it is the Chair's judgement that
there is WG consensus that it is a reasonable point from which to
start. (Note: "a" reasonable point, not necessarily the only one.)
There can easily be one or more technical items in the draft that, at
the time of adoption, are clearly against WG consensus. (In which case
I think the best practice is to post a -00 with the minimum changes to
make it a WG draft and then post a -01 with those technical items
changed to WG consensus.)

The entire draft is not determined to be WG consensus until the Chair
says so, most commonly at the end of a WG Last Call.

Thanks,
Donald
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx