Re: What's the alternative to "snarling"?

On 4/19/21 10:42 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 4/19/21 1:30 PM, Randy Presuhn wrote:

Agree. But that requires careful listening to their ideas, as well
as a willingness to examine dogma.
And the amount of careful listening required is often roughly the same for a Bad Idea versus a promising idea.   Wrapping your head around someone else's idea is hard work, especially when you have to re-examine deeply held assumptions to do so.   Also the difference between a really Bad Idea and a more promising idea might be subtle, as in: if you make this slight change, it would be a much better idea.   So you not only need to examine the presumably bad idea but also some amount of variation around that idea.

The real issue if you ask me is whether a new and better idea overcomes the energy barrier to matter. With something old and established that barrier is extremely high. For Quic, for example, we've had 20+ years of an 8 packet startup handshake before that energy barrier was overcome to get to 5 packets, and who knows how many years it will be to get it back to 3 if ever even though it's perfectly possible to fix. ObMe: I haven't joined the Quic mailing list mainly because I'm not sure I want to endure yet another snarling match from entrenched powers that be. Maybe I will, but it's a fairly typical outcome in my experience that that is what will happen.

Mike