Re: the old fellowship program, was Wow, we're famous

On 14/4/21 15:59, John Levine wrote:
It appears that Nico Williams  <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
Fernando has pointed out repeatedly that ISOC used to have a sponsorship
program for participants from economically disadvantaged countries, and
that this program has been terminated.

It wasn't working.

And that didn't seem to matter. I did report why I thought the program was failing, quite a few times, and also provided suggestions. -- but no changes.

Looked like the goal was having a program, in itself, rather than having a program to achieve a goal. (i.e., as if there was a box to tick).

The people would come to a meeting but then
wouldn't write I-Ds or continue to engage with the IETF. In one
particularly unfortunate case, the person didn't even speak English
and somehow the selection process missed that. We want to resume it
with a selection process that finds people who can benefit from IETF
meetings and are likely to be ongoing IETF contributors.

There are lots of aspects involved.

* Selection:
  Granting a fellowship to people who don't have a clue about the IETF,
  and didn't bother to have it, is a non-starter. At the very least,
  there should be proven technical participation.

* Clear expectations out of the program:
  There didn't use to be any, other than "sharing the experience with
  your community".

* Sustained support
  Supporting people to attend *one* meeting every now and then, when
  they have no chance to support their ongoing participation over time
  will not help much of a difference.

* Support such people in building a community
  If the program finds people that is capable, support them in further
  building their communities. -- this can indirectly support their own
  IETF work.

* Don't aim to create evangelizers, but rather support local engineers
  that can help evangelize via their IETF work.

And: If you want to help a community, rather than tell them what you think they need, ask them how they think you can help them.

Just my two cents,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@xxxxxxxxxxx || fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx