Re: Wow, we're famous, was WG Review: Effective Terminology in IETF Documents (term)

On 14/04/2021 19:01, Jim Fenton wrote:
On 14 Apr 2021, at 10:33, Eliot Lear wrote:

What does this mean to the IETF?  I don’t think it means “stop doing
TERM”.  Rather I think it means that we should work on the other
aspects.  We should make it easy and fun to be here.  And mostly it is
fun (of course I’m biased), but sometimes it’s not easy.

The question I keep asking myself (and I don’t have an answer) is
whether by focusing on terminology in this way we are distracting
ourselves from making more meaningful efforts to make IETF more
inclusive. I don’t know what those more meaningful efforts might be, but
I hope we’re addressing the big problems first.

My answer would be yes, we are distracting ourselves.

Being inclusive means having enough in common which means we are clear and make clear to others what we do and how we do it so that they can see that they would fit in, or not as the case may be. We are engineers and we work on the Internet. Many think that the world depends on science when it is engineers that make it revolve. And I struggle to explain to others what we mean by Internet; it is not fibre broadband, it is not Wi-Fi, it is not mobile/cell phone technology, it is not Facebook, it is not shopping on the internet. It is something in the middle that lacks a definition.

Tom Petch

-Jim

.