Re: Quic: the elephant in the room

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 09:02:57AM -0700, Michael Thomas wrote:
> On 4/12/21 8:51 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
> > You get better security properties (w.r.t. possible compromised root or
> > ccTLD/TLD keys) if the resolver finds the DNSSEC chain on its own using
> > qname minimization than you get with stapling, but I agree that stapling
> > is a performance win.  We'll really want transparency for DNSSEC if we
> > do any kind of full chain stapling.
>
> Can somebody explain what "stapling" is?

In general "stapling" means sending all the ancilliary things that the
peer would otherwise have to lookup on its own to save it the bother.
So:

 - "OCSP" == RP sends request to OCSP Responder

 - "stapled OCSP" == supplicant sends its EE cert and chain and cached
   OCSPResponse to the RP so the RP need not go talk to an OCSP
   Responder

 - "DANE" == RP looks up all the relevant RRs needed to validate
   supplican't certificate

 - "stapled DANE" == supplicant sends TLSA RRs and DNSSEC chain along
   with its certificate so that the RP need not perform those lookups
   separately

(RP == relying party)
(supplicant == the entity authenticated by the end-endity certificate it
 presents to the RP)

Nico