Re: Quic: the elephant in the room

On 4/12/21 3:36 AM, Andrew McConachie wrote:

When looking at how one might implement DANE for HTTPS/TLS I don’t see any reason to handle these things sequentially. You don’t have to change TLS you just have to do things asynchronously. Query for TLSA RRs at the same time as sending the TLS ClientHello, and kill the connection setup when/if DANE validation fails. On the off chance that the DNS actually takes longer than TLS, maybe delay sending data via TLS until DNS responds. But I bet this almost never happens.

Correct. Better: you can do the TLSA request at the same time as the A/AAAA request speculatively. Plus if you've ever had a TLSA record for that domain, you know it's pretty likely you'll get a fresh one even if the last one is expired, so the speculation is minimal.

Mike