Re: Quic: the elephant in the room

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 at 23:33, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 11:18:39PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:

> > But any compromise of a registrant, registrar or registry also
> > compromises CA certificate issuance.  The CAs are redundant so
> > long as the attestation they're performing is "domain control".
>
> CT makes that untrue. Why is this not obvious?

Because:

    * CT is after the fact, plausibly too late.

And the on time DNS version is...?

    * As I mentioned before, CT is often impractical for
      typical domains != google.com.

Agree we need more.

      - They need to track the CT logs
      - They need to keep track of all legitimately issued certificates.

You have a suggestion that does not need this?

      - They need to detect unauthorised issuance quickly and have
        a mechanism in place to demand revocation.
      - Clients need to actually support CRLs, OCSP, ...

      There's an awful lot of preconditions there for CT to actually be
      effective in practice.

CT has been very effective in practice, despite these caveats. I do agree there are problems it doesn't inherently solve.

> > > Also, DNS has the same plethora of authorities with varying
> > > security responsibility.
> >
> > Choose a security-conscious registrar, and apply registrar lock, and any
> > other available/applicable options to prevent unauthorised changes to
> > domain registration metadata.
>
> Of course anyone can trivially figure this out. Not.

It certainly isn't a secret, has been discussed on many lists over the
years, but I don't know of a canonical place to find this advice.  We
could publicise this better, not sure whether an IETF BCP would be the
right mechanism.  Yes, you're unlikely to learn this from a discount
registrar competing only on price and not on quality/security of service.

--
    Viktor.