Re: Quic: the elephant in the room

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 11:18:39PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:

> > But any compromise of a registrant, registrar or registry also
> > compromises CA certificate issuance.  The CAs are redundant so
> > long as the attestation they're performing is "domain control".
>
> CT makes that untrue. Why is this not obvious?

Because:

    * CT is after the fact, plausibly too late.

    * As I mentioned before, CT is often impractical for
      typical domains != google.com.

      - They need to track the CT logs
      - They need to keep track of all legitimately issued certificates.
      - They need to detect unauthorised issuance quickly and have
        a mechanism in place to demand revocation.
      - Clients need to actually support CRLs, OCSP, ...

      There's an awful lot of preconditions there for CT to actually be
      effective in practice.

> > > Also, DNS has the same plethora of authorities with varying
> > > security responsibility.
> >
> > Choose a security-conscious registrar, and apply registrar lock, and any
> > other available/applicable options to prevent unauthorised changes to
> > domain registration metadata.
>
> Of course anyone can trivially figure this out. Not.

It certainly isn't a secret, has been discussed on many lists over the
years, but I don't know of a canonical place to find this advice.  We
could publicise this better, not sure whether an IETF BCP would be the
right mechanism.  Yes, you're unlikely to learn this from a discount
registrar competing only on price and not on quality/security of service.

--
    Viktor.