Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On 3 Mar 2021, at 15:40, Dave Crocker wrote:

> I find myself wanting to retain octet here.  Again, it makes a linkable between code point and octet explicit.  Further, this text involves raw data that can't be processed normally and octet has no semantics beyond saying 8-bit, whereas code point invokes substantial semantics.
>

> Thoughts?

Let me say I think it is a bad idea to "mix" octet and character/code point. These two talks about two different layers in the architecture where what octets you use depends on (as other have said) what encoding you use etc.

So in IETF specifications when talking about text, you should talk either about octets or characters. And if you talk about octets you suddenly have to take care of changes of them, series of octets that can not be characters etc.

So no, not a mix please.

Why do you want to keep octet?

   Patrik